Lung cancer is a devastatingly painful disease that affects numerous Americans each year. With 228,190 new cases yearly, lung cancer has become the leading cause of cancer related deaths in the United States. To create awareness and prevention the month of November has been dedicated to lung cancer education. King Real Estate Group has dedicated this blog to cancer education, and community outreach efforts for you to get involved.
10 Facts you didn’t know about Lung Cancer
1. Workers exposed to asbestos have a greater chance of getting lung cancer than cigarette smokers.
2. According to the American Cancer Society 159,480 deaths are caused from lung cancer every year.
3. In 1987 lung cancer surpassed breast cancer as the leading cause of cancer deaths for woman.
4. Non-smokers exposed to second hand smoke have a 20% to 30% higher chance of developing lung cancer.
5. Lung Cancer Awareness Month began in 1995 as Lung Cancer Awareness Day.
6. The chances of developing lung cancer are about 1 in 13 for men and 1 in 16 for woman.
7. 85% of lung cancer is non- small cell lung cancer.
8. Stopping a smoking habit prior to cancer develops, allows your body to steadily repair damaged tissue. This often prolongs or prevents lung cancer from developing.
9. Living a healthy smoke free lifestyle is the best way to prevent lung cancer.
10. Radon is a radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. Radon is odorless, colorless, and can be found in rock, soil, air, and underground water in different levels. This harmful gas can also be present in your home, to reduce your exposure have your home tested.
How to get involved:
All month long the Lung Cancer Alliance is hosting events all over the country in support of Lung Cancer Awareness. To get involved or make a donation visit their website.
For the month of November, The American Lung Association is encouraging you to share your stories with others. What better way to empower and educate others, by sharing your struggles, and triumphs of battling lung cancer. To share and learn about others stories go to: www.mylungcancersupport.org.
How Denver is celebrating Lung Cancer Awareness Month
Denver kicked off Lung Cancer Awareness Month early this year with the 4th Annual Lung Cancer 5K run/walk. The National Lung Cancer Partnership held the 5k on October 6 and will be fundraising until November 20th. If you would like to make a donation please visit their website: Make a Donation.
This November 14th Join the Lung Cancer Alliance for their 5th Annual Shine a light on Lung Cancer Vigil. The event will be held at the Mi Casa Recourse Center at 6:30. For more information, check out their website.
We at King Real Estate Group pride ourselves on providing clients with knowledgeable, personalized, and innovative real estate services.
American Lung Association http://www.lung.org/
Lung Cancer Alliance http://www.lungcanceralliance.org/