Once you’ve decided to put your home on the market, it’s important to take a close look at it from the viewpoint of a prospective buyer. Objectively evaluating each area & then making your home “show ready” can have a major pay-off in terms of the offers it will attract & how soon those offers come in.
THE BIG PICTURE:
- Keep it uncluttered: It will look neater & look larger. You will convey a more spacious feeling.
- Keep it clean: You will create the impression that the house is well cared for. Fresh paint makes rooms look clean & new.
- Keep it repaired: Fix items before buyers question them. The need for repairs can make or break a sale.
- Keep it neutral: Get rid of distracting colors & personal accessories. Neutral colors & simple decor help prospective buyers visualize their own belongings in a room.
- Keep it dynamic: Make your home memorable. Fresh flowers & fresh clean smells make your home more inviting.
- Keep it light & bright: Open curtains & drapes to let the sun shine in. Turn on lights.
- Showtime: Put away any toys, clothes, food, or other “left out” items.
THE SMALL DETAILS:
Outside: Trim, weed, tidy up lawn & garden. Clean up pet areas; re-sod or reseed. Repair screens, windows & doors. Add fresh mulch under shrubs. Add potted or hanging flowers to decks & porches.
In the kitchen: Clean away extra small appliances. Remove stains & items from sink. Straighten up memo areas & remove papers. Clean & deodorize vent or exhaust hood.
In the bathroom: Clean counters of extra toiletries. Store them out of sight. Remove stains or mold from sink, tub, & shower. Patch, caulk & grout as needed. Put out attractive “for showings only” towels.
IN THE LIVING ROOM & FAMILY ROOMS:
Rearrange furniture for a more spacious feel. Remove any extra pieces & store. Spot clean carpets or rugs. Have neutral paint or wallpaper. Accent with fresh flowers. Open the shades & drapes to let in light.
IN THE BEDROOM:
Straighten up closets. Box & store clothing, shoes, etc. as necessary. Arrange toys to look appealing. Add curtains or valences to rooms without them. Remove attention-getting posters.
IN THE BASEMENT OR GARAGE:
Thoroughly clean & deodorize areas where pets sleep or spend time. Straighten tool shop & laundry. Sweep floors. Clean up grease spots & other spills. Get rid of items you won’t be taking with you.